If you’re in charge of making any desserts for a baby shower, you’re probably overwhelmed by all the different things you can make. From your basic baby shower cake to brownies and cupcakes and even parfaits and cookies, the options are endless.
Now, if you’d like to think outside the box and make the perfect treat for all the guests, it’s a great idea to consider making baby shower cake pops. What are they and how you do get started?
What are baby shower cake pops?
A cake pop is basically a small, round piece of cake that is put onto a sucker stick to look like a lollipop. These pops can be made with any cake flavor and are covered in frosting and pretty sprinkles.
What do baby shower cake pops look like?
What are helpful, but not necessary supplies to have?
- Professinal Cake Pop Baller
- Babycakes Cake Pop Maker
- Wilton Swirly Lollipop Holder
- Americolor Food Marker Writers
- Wilton POPS Potted Bouquet Kit
- Wilton Mini Ball Pan
How do you make baby shower cake pops?
To begin, you will want to have the following supplies:
- 1 Big bowl
- 1 Deep bowl to dip
- Wax paper
- Plastic wrap
- 2 Cookie sheets
- 42 Paper candy sticks
- 1 Box of cake mix with additional ingredients
- 1 16 oz tub of frosting
- 32 oz of melting candy
- Large piece of foam for holding sticks
Now that you have all your supplies, here are some simple, step by step directions to get you started:
- You will want to bake your cake in a 13 x 9 inch pan in the oven. Be sure to follow the instructions on the box. Once the cake is baked, allow at least an hour for it to cool before you begin the crumbling process.
- Cut the cake while still in the pan, into 4 identical pieces.
- Grab your big bowl and take one section of the cake out and begin to roll it in between both hands so that it crumbles into little pieces. Let the little crumbs fall into the bowl and make sure there are no large crumbs. You will eventually have the whole cake crumbled, doing one section at a time.
- When the cake is completely crumbled, you will want to get out the icing. Using 12 ounces of the 16 ounces of frosting, mix the frosting into the crumbs. Continue to keep mixing until all the crumbs are completely covered and there aren’t any solid chunks of frosting.
- When the mixture is blended well, you will begin forming the cake balls. You can either do this with your hands or a professional cake pop baller. So, grab a cookie sheet covered with wax paper and begin to make the balls about an inch and a half in size. Make sure you don’t make the balls to large as they won’t stay on the sticks later on.
- The last step in prepping the cake balls is to cool them off by placing them in the refrigerator for three hours. You can do this by just sliding the cookie sheet on a shelf.
- While the cake balls are in the refrigerator, you will start the candy coating process. So, take that deep container and poor in half of the melting candy. Once half of the package is in the container, place it into the microwave for 30 seconds so it can melt.
- To prepare yourself, poke holes in the foam board about 2 inches apart so that you can put your pops in there once they’re coated.
- Stir the melted candy mixture and dip the pop sticks about 1/2 of an inch into the melted coating.
- Now, place the stick into the cake ball.
- Place the whole cake ball into the melted candy mixture and make sure each part of the ball is covered in the candy.
- Once the whole cake ball is covered in the mixture, add all the sprinkles you’d like as the candy mixture has to be wet in order for them to stick.
Once your cake balls are completely finished, you can either put them in your refrigerator for a few days or put them in a sealed zip-lock bag on the counter for about 2-3 days.
Are you inspired to make some of the best cake balls? If so, you may want to check out the top 5 cake ball tip, tricks and recipe books.
Top 5 Cake Pop Books:
As you can see, these little pops can be quite the dessert. Not only do they taste good, but they’re very pretty and decorative for baby showers. So if ever you’re looking for something fun to make that people enjoy, this is definitely something to take into consideration.